I wrote this on my blog in 2011 but the world was still jiggling in the middle, unsure of itself, and not quite ready. I think we’re cooked now, & Very Done. Time for a reheat.
We are in a time of transition from the old way of doing things to the New Earth spoken of by philosophers, sages and spiritual teachers. Many of us know that the old ways no longer work, that greed, exclusivity and living unconsciously are doing more harm than good.
Many of us have dedicated ourselves to finding a new way, a better way for Earth and her People.
This Manifesto is written for you — the Leaders of the Evolution.
Now is a time when more leaders of good heart and conscience are needed — more than ever before. These transformational leaders are rising — from the PTA, from the helping professions, from Buddha mechanics, to Mother Teresa-like social workers, inspired martial arts and spiritual practitioners, lay philosophers and even that helpful guy behind you in line at the store.
The word “leader” is only sometimes part of our title or official job description. We sometimes feel like a fraud because of this, but it doesn’t stop us getting our transformative message out there and changing people’s lives.
We are parents, we are professionals, we are computer nerds, yoga devotees, teachers, choir leaders, doctors, lawyers priest/esses, politicals, bloggers, literati, technorati and environmentalists. We are green, sustainable and biodiverse. We are multicultural, metaphysical, and school of hard knocks.
We are freedom fighters, and we are occasionally a little scared about being a conduit for the Big Important Message we have for the world. But we persevere in working on our own issues, and getting that message out there.
Evolutionary Leaders come from all walks of life, and are found wherever people are rising up to a better life, kinder planet, personal liberation and a sustainable future.
We have a single uniting theme: to help our planet and her many peoples grow into a more sustainable, spiritually evolved, happier and healthier state.
We do our work in small groups and large, from school to meetups to government, small circles of friends to multi-national corporations.
We are everywhere and our time is Now.
Join me in this exciting and rewarding adventure quest! Materials to help you in your Leadership are coming from all possible nooks and crannies of the internet, especially from the blogosphere (many right here on Medium), and are springing up globally in many similar places, from teachers both online, and near you.
I invite you to take the powerful step of proclaiming your Evolutionary Leadership for all to see — it puts a powerful intention out in the world that draws your perfect audience to you.
If that appeals share your wisdom widely, generously, with good heart and willing spirit. Encourage others to their best and support developing leaders. It puts you in good company. And when in doubt, use this Code of Ethics as a guide.
An Evolutionary Leader…
- Is collaborative, generous, inquiring, speaks well of others and maintains a professional, collegial relationship with competitors and colleagues.
- Is open to new streams of thought, new patterns of energy and better ways of doing things. These new and different patterns school the Evolutionary Leader in their craft, and are welcomed teachers.
- Is compassionate to those who “don’t get it” and is adept (or is becoming so) at the art of tailoring the message to the listener.
- Is compassionate towards themself first. Considers each day a blessing and the opportunity to work on self first and foremost, both an honor and a sacred duty. A truly Evolutionary Leader remembers with compassion their own need for growth and healing, especially while working with others.
- Is impeccable with their word, especially when it’s personally tough or may cause discomfort. Does not hide or shy away from truths painful to self or others, but works to transform them.
- Exemplifies generosity and abundance in thoughts, teachings, finances, personal and community health and relationships. If still in training as a Leader, focuses on getting past blockages in these areas first.
- Has serious mad ninja skills in their particular area of expertise, that help them help their community. Always shares these skill-set goodies widely.
- Gives credit where it is due, while supporting group evolution. Works to magnify and extend others’ best efforts. Shines a light on others’ good works gladly, and nurtures new leadership.
- Empowers the weakest to grow, not acting as a crutch, but also not leaving anyone behind. We all get out of here alive, and thriving — together.
- Keeps the pace of group learning and evolution a stretch for the majority, while including slower learners, and empowering faster-paced learners to consistently take on more responsibility and encourage slower learners in the group.
- Has a consistent daily practice to expand their own consciousness, health, spirituality, and mental processing, and holds space for these as goals for working with their group.
- Is an energy mover and recognizes where energy is flowing in personal and group situations. Knows how to simply and quickly modify their own body/mind and environment. Can shape and lead the combined energy of a group in a harmonious and transformative manner.
- Plans for the hiccups and backslides in progress that there may be, addressing them gently but firmly so that all might benefit.
- Practices compassion, but does not sit silent in the face of corruption, greed, human rights violations or other abuses of power, speaking out and actively finding ways for these energies to be re-routed beneficially.
- Shares power and responsibility gracefully, lovingly grooms their successors, and plans for their own retirement as a Leader.
- Knows when the time has come to transform their own role, leaving the group they are working with if necessary, gracefully facilitating both their own exit and new leadership succession.
- Continues their quest for personal and world evolution, serving wherever they are needed, always willing to go beyond the expected, the known, the tried-and-true to get to the core essence.
- Keeps themselves joyously open, curious, and willing to be pleasantly surprised.
How are you being an Evolutionary Leader in your own life?
What about this Manifesto do you agree or disagree with?
What would you add to improve the suggestions here?
Most importantly…what is your next step to help your people evolve?
I help passionate, mission-driven women entrepreneurs to create sustainable, spiritually fulfilling and socially-just businesses that foster a kind, loving and evolutionary human presence on the planet.
If you would like my help to Be the Evolutionary Leader your tribe is looking for book a chat with me.